Spotting up-and-coming talent

I recently attended an under-18 tournament and noticed a player who stood out due to her incredible footwork and strong baseline game. It got me thinking about how crucial it’s to identify these young athletes early on. Have any of you had similar experiences where you spotted someone who just had that potential?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍​‌⁠‍‍‌‍⁠‌​⁠​‌‌​‍‍‌‍‌​‌​⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠​​‌⁠​​​⁠​⁠‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌⁠‍‍‌​⁠​‌‌‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I spotted a standout player once too, her shot accuracy was something else; have you been following any specific players since that tournament?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌​‌⁠​​‌‍​‍‌⁠​​‌​​‌‌​‌​​⁠​​‌‍‌‍‌‌​⁠‌‌‍‍‌​​‌​⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

It’s amazing how talent can shine through even at a young age! I think coaches should pay close attention to fundamental skills like footwork — sometimes it’s like spotting a diamond in the rough. Have you connected with any local teams or coaches yet to share your thoughts on this player?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌​​⁠‌‍⁠‌​⁠‍​‌⁠‍‍‌‌​‌‌‍⁠​‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌​⁠‍​‌‌‍‍‌⁠​​‌‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I totally agree about footwork being crucial; when we trained, focusing on agility drills helped elevate our game and spot talent early. > any local teams or coaches yet to share your thoughts on this player? That’s so important for nurturing their skills — do you think there are enough opportunities for these kids?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍​⁠​⁠‍‌‌​⁠⁠‌​⁠⁠‌​⁠‍‌‌‌⁠‌​‍‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‍‌‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌​​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​